Monday, May 10, 2010

Determination

Well, my time on the Wii has been better than my blogging about Mii on the Wii, but not by much. This article states a weakness of the Wii Fit, but also points out the weakness of the user (no exercise plan!), so no blaming the game.

Let's investigate the possible reasons (think... the Wii asking me for the reason I'm gaining weight and/or not meeting my goal to enter the normal range):
  • nice weather, doing outdoor activities more (yep, a little)
  • going to the YMCA to work out (um, nope. not lately)
  • busy with family--volleyball games, picking kids up, dropping them off, appointments (definitely, but this is NO excuse...there are hours every day when these things are not happening)
  • just plain busy--intermittent work, trip to Utah (!), church calling, visiting teaching, reading, sleeping (yes, but this is life)
So what needs to happen to make the Wii (or any regular exercise) happen regularly:
  • Set a time EVERY DAY in my schedule and make it happen (see this excellent article I just found)
  • Organize the rest of my life
  • make exercise a priority--not #1, but move it up the list, or something
  • care specifically about my overall functioning (balance, coordination--the main things Wii Fit and exercise helps me with)
  • Put together a fun My Routine to use regularly on the Wii Fit, though since it's just Yoga and Strength exercises, sometimes I will alternate with Wii Fit Plus Routines, which incorporate the funner activities, too.
Ok, after re-reading the aforementioned excellent article I have made the determination (this word chosen very carefully) that daily I will exercise. 30-minute walk- sometimes with running, tai chi class, wii fit plus, or swim. Every day. Yes!

(Sabbath excepted, though a walk is fine, just with family, not for exercise per se).

Pictured above is Danny Dreyer, author of ChiRunning, one of my favorite exercise books/programs ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment