Thursday, December 31, 2009

Where I'm Coming From

Maybe you thought I'd expound on my hometown or where I went to college, but no. This post is to clarify my health status and background so it doesn't seem so zany that I can actually benefit from exercises done with the Wii. Who is really challenged by this stuff? Well, um, me. After easy day 1, I had that nice tight feeling in my legs that says "I did something good yesterday." And after a little stretching, walking and some more yoga/strenthening stuff, I felt even better. So:

10 months ago I got sick. I couldn't walk steadily, see straight, or feel my hands, feet or the tip of my tongue. They were numb and there was pain just shooting up and down my limbs. Luckily I could still breathe. I had Guillain-Barre Syndrome (likely Miller-Fisher variant) and was in the hospital for almost 3 weeks. (my GBS blog is here).

Recovery is slow (my doctors are saying 12-18 months) and some symptoms can remain for a very long time. My deep tendon reflexes are gone and my lower legs tire very quickly. This is why I love the stationary recumbent bike. My upper legs and hips can do most of the work, so I can exercise for longer.

Anyway, the Wii Fit exercises help with balance and strength that I lost and am trying to regain. It's easy stuff, but not so easy for me. I get zero points on things all the time as I figure it out or cannot balance enough. (This is humbling, being someone who ran a marathon just over a year ago and led a very active life). I still see myself as active, just in small spurts for now.

So that's me. That's where I'm at. And why I have strength and fitness to rebuild. Oh, did I mention my wonderful husband and kids who have been more encouraging, loving and patient than one could imagine? Another motivating factor-I want to be well and strong and do fun, active things with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment